Finding time to write your novel
You love to write and you have a story swirling around in your head reeking chaos waiting to be unleashed, but how do you manage to write when you work?
Not only do you work a day job or two, you probably have kids or pets, a spouse or significant other, you like to sleep at some point, so how and where do you find the time to write your novel? It is no small task, after all, it could take a year or more to write. Who has a year as a block of time to write? I know I don’t. My guess is you don’t either.
But you are passionate about your story, it needs to be told. You’ve tried writing to do lists and that is helpful, you get a lot of things done, but not your writing. You think about quitting your day job to pursue your passion, but quickly realize that isn’t realistic. You like to eat and have a roof over your head. I get it.
Here are some tips on finding time to write your novel:
- Keep paper & pen with you at all times – whenever you find yourself waiting (Dr’s office, on the bus, lunch break etc.) use that time to write, even if it’s just notes.
- Invest in a digital recorder – when you are stopped at a light, stuck in traffic, on a long trip, lunch break etc., utilize that time. Sometimes you need your hands free and pen & paper won’t do.
- Pull out your calendar – look over this week (one week blocks are realistic) and any day you have a block of time, even if it’s only 15 minutes, schedule that time for writing. Commit to that time for writing, nothing else, no dishes, no laundry, just writing.
- Get up 30 minutes earlier – the house should be quiet and you’ve just created 30 minutes of creative time.
- Stay up later – same concept as getting up earlier. Some people are early birds and some are night owls, find what works for you.
If you have longer blocks of time to write that’s great, but we don’t always have that luxury. And small blocks of time, such as 15 or 30 minutes here and there may not seem like much, but they add up. A paragraph and another paragraph eventually make a page, which eventually makes a chapter and turns into a book.
There are 5 strategies to finding time to write your novel.
How do you make time to write your story?